Book review: Umberto Eco The Name of The Rose

Umberto Eco is one of my favorite italian writers. First book I read long time ago in estonian and it was "The name of the rose" . I read it once again in Italian 13 years later. 
I remember that back then it was simple crime story in medieval times having 2 main characters Adso da Melk and Guglielmo da Baskerwille. Which I learnt recently, were inspired by Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson characters. 
I re-read it in italian and I must admit that language knowledge helped me to understand bit more of the story line. 
Maybe the fact that Latin part is not translated, makes it harder to read. If you do not know nothing of medieval times, again it is hard to understand what Eco was thinking. 
I was reading comments in goodreads and I found negative and positive, meaning that this book got emotions out of people, which I believe was the scope of Eco since the beginning. 
As he says, that author is an artist, the readers are interpreters of a story. Everyone has a right to understand it as he pleases. 

“Books are not made to be believed, but to be subjected to inquiry. When we consider a book, we mustn't ask ourselves what it says but what it means...”

― Umberto Eco, The Name of the Rose

Comments