Netflix documentary : "I am a Killer"

I was watching a documentary on Netflix called "I am a killer". It narrates 10 different stories about 10 different men, who are facing death row. In the US the death penalty was introduced in 1976 and more than 8000 people have got the death penalty since then.
In some cases, I believe the death penalty is the only thing you can give. But on the other hand, I am thinking: "We are no Gods. So who are we to decide, who dies and who lives?"
Anyway, I watched this series. One episode somehow really struck me. It was a story about a 17-year-old boy, whose parents suffered from drug addiction. He found himself surrounded by older guys and started to do coce himself. One day he stole some drugs from the dealer and he ended up using it all with his "friends". He had to pay back to him somehow, so the dealer sent him to steal some jewelry on Mockingbird Street. He rang a bell on the shop, and its owner let him in and continued to serve another customer, who was in there already. Guy looked around and took out the gun and told both men to lay down. And from here on confusion began. A customer by profession was a teacher and at some point, he tried to get the gun from the boy. It ended up with a shot. The shopkeeper used the time to run out from the back door and called the police. As the store was set up with security locks, the 17-year-old boy was locked in until the police officers arrived.
He was eventually convicted for the death penalty.
I was thinking about how contradictive it was. There are psychopaths, who are imagining to be the Son of the Devil, kill 3 people just to get souls for the Devil, and they are serving 40 years with a possibility of parole. I am not protecting the boy, saying he should be forgiven. But he certainly did not serve the death penalty!
The interesting part was the interview with the judge, who was using words "I assume" and "I believe". Of course, he has performed in his role for years and maybe he is correct. But I think, that in a position like this, decisions should be made based on facts and witnesses' testimonials.
Anyway, after watching this episode, I was thinking of how unfair life can be.
If you are born in a rich environment, do drugs, have fun, you buy yourself out. Go to college and sooner or later become someone, but on the other hand...
If you're born in a poor environment, and you do not have a fighter mentality, you'll end up in a jail serving a lifetime... or even worse you end up on death row.

Comments