Book Review: Romanovs by S. Montefiore

I saw this book in a bookstore and it immediately caught my eye as something extra ordinary! So beautiful cover. I hold it in my hand. Started to read, what is this book about. I was thinking wow that is clearly my book! I love history, plus it is so beautiful. Definitely one must have and must read! 
But something in me told, that it is not that good. So I opened up goodreads app and checked the feedbacks. Well now I was convinced! It had amazing reviews. I am gonna spend that money on good thing, was my thought. 
I went home with it, started to read. Arrive to the page 100 and I found it boring. I left it in my bookshelves as one of the books, that I will read later on. 
This time "later" came now. 
Honestly, I felt disappointment. This book 300 years of Romanovs squeezed into 700 pages without any style. I read it. I finished it. But with huge difficult. I did not understand the style at all. What did Montefriore want to tell us with this book? Romanovs crazy love stories? Make Romanovs more normal? More crazy? I lost track. I lost interest. It was not what I expected. 
Have you read this book? What did you think of it? 
Maybe it was not the correct time for me to read it yet? Maybe I need to wait another year or so and then I will understand it better. 
Maybe ... Maybe... Who knows, maybe after 5 years I might find it interesting .... 

Cheers to all book lovers! 

Comments