Paperback or e-book/Kindle?

This is, or actually was, my dilemma paperback or e-book? When I discovered kindle's existence I knew I had to have it. I like new things and I love new technology. 
I bought it and first couple of months I used it very actively. Downloaded all kinds of free books. Mostly classics. And some books from Sandra Brown. Some thrillers. Anyway, my reading list is not defined by genre. Whatever the mood to read I usually grab.
As I said used - in the past. I am not using it anymore. I do not know, if it was coming with age or something in me changed. I really do not know. But I prefer paperbacks. In fact I just ordered via IBS.IT another 12 books to read. 


My list of Kindle's benefits were that it is small and easy to take with you. No need for huge bag and it is so light. Within small device you can have thousands of books with you. For example if you go travelling and want to read various genres, it is really comfortable. 

Books in epub format are cheaper or even for free. Usually the cost of e-book is much less, even for the new piece that was released recently. Paperbacks costs more. If you use Kindle, then Amazon has great selection of free books to download. 

You can add vocabulary. If you are reading in foreign languages, then sometimes it is a must have feature. To double check the words meaning. I found it useful as I read books in Spanish, Italian and Russian. I was checking the meaning of a word and it was super comfortable. 
Additionally, I found myself checking as well history of some words and how they evolved via google. It is like my hobby now. Specially I love to do it in Italian, I am quiet fond of the diversity and evolution of this language. 

You can add PDF format books in the e-book and carry them with you. Yes, there are some companies offering PDF books for free for studying purpose mostly. Instead wasting paper you upload it into your Kindle or ebook readig device.

Save the nature. You save the trees actually by choosing e-book/kindle. 

Even though Kindle/e-book has lots of benefits, at one point I started to miss paperbacks. Really - really miss. When I was living in Bologna, I had the most beautiful library near me. I spent there at least 4 hrs a week, if not more. Borrowed books, read there and as there is as well cafeteria, I sat there and drank coffe. 
Smell of a book, turning the page after page, feeling the paper between the fingers that is something that nothing will replace. 
After moving away from Bologna, I started to buy books. My husband says I spend all my money on books. When other women buy clothes, jewelry and make up I buy books. Currently I am buying from IBS. Well I buy and then I resell if someone is interested in buying some of the books. Re-using is good, is it not? :) 

What do you prefer for reading and why? Let us know in you comments. 




Comments