Book Review: S. Van Beek Slithering South

During my very latest trip to Thailand I wanted to read something about the country. I preferred something from Thai writer, but as I do not speak the language it was mission impossible. 

We were walking around, if I now remember correctly, in Sukhumvit or Kao San road. There were lots of amazing places where to sit, eat and drink. Lots of clothing shops and massage parlors. Among them I noticed one small bookshop of used books! 
So finally I found, what I was looking for. Happy as a kid I entered. I spent I think one hour there, my husband anxiously waiting for me outside. I chose 2 books, one was Slithering South and another Thailand Joy.
 
Today I want to talk about Slithering South. 
It was a true story of a guy who was living in Thailand for years and he had an idea to let boat to be built and he wanted to travel with it form North Thailand to South via river Ping. It was in 80's! Can you immagine, how was Thailand in these years? Savage! People were superstitious, they probably hadn't seen much foreigners yet. 

Thankfully Steve wrote a book about his experience. And I must say, it is fabulous! Easy reading and you get a glimpse of a Thai rural life and people. 
His experience is really worth reading - 400 pages of true joy!  
The style is simple and in some point I could immagine myself in the boat with him. Or visiting the rural thai people houses. That book made my Thai trip much more interesting.

From me 5 stars & I recommend to read it, if you haven't already.

Have you read this book? What are your thoughts? Write into comments :) 

Cheers all book worms :) 

Comments