Must try, when in Estonia

BLACK RYE BREAD
There is no food like Estonian rye bread. Rye has been cultivated in Estonia for more than thousand years and it was a center of our agriculture. In Middle Ages, Estonia was known as a main rye exporter across Europe.
Rye bread is available in every supermarket in Estonia, but it is not quite like the homemade version.
When I am in Estonia, I always bring some bread with me to wherever I am. This time was no different. I found this amazing offer at the Airport. I had an early flight and the mall caught my attention. I walked around and found the bread, which resulted to be home made version. (Yes! By its delicious smell!) A bit expensive, but worth all the euros spent! :)
KOHUKESED



Another thing that I truly miss living and working away from my home, is "KOHUKESED". Which is nice sweet made of curd. In my early 20-s these were my lunch. I had coffee and "kohukesed" for lunch, I ate them like 15 at the time. My favorites were and still are Saare and Tere products. Wonderful snack or dessert. :)
Well, truth be told, when I am at home, I eat 5 of them for breakfast. :D They are just so good! Of course everything depends on taste and what you like.

Kohukesed", one of my favorite sweets.
KALEV CHOCOLATE GOODIES
Kalev is our famous chocolate factory, and when in Estonia try the chocolate goodies they produce. I love candies called "Mesikäpp", I always bring them with me and share it with my guests, who love them as much as I do.
Something special to taste would be "kamatahvel". It is chocolate made of kama - a grain blend of rye, wheat, barley and pea. Chocolate bar born during 1970-s, when when coca prices were so high, that sweets became out of reach for millions.During that period Kalev started experimenting with kama and invented the kama chocolate, which became the national candy bar in Estonia. Definitely try it! :)
My favorite and must try chocolate bar - Kamatahvel.
Mesikapp - directly translated to English it means Honey Paw.
KAMA
Kama is a traditional Estonian, Finnish and Russian finely milled flour mixture. The kama powder is a mixture of roasted barley, rye, oat and pea flour.
Historically kama was a non-perishable, easy-to-carry food that could be quickly fashioned into a stomach-filling snack by rolling it into butter or lard; it didn't require baking, as it was already roasted.
Nowadays it is used for making some desserts. It is mostly enjoyed for breakfast mixed with milk, buttermilk or kefir as mush. It is frequently sweetened with sugar and especially with blueberries, more rarely with other fruits or honey or served unsweetened. It is also used for milk or sour desserts, together with the forest berries typical in Estonia and Finland.
Traditional Estonian Kama

Comments